2017 Buy Local Month Wrap-Up
Dec 21, 2017
The goal of our Buy Local Month campaign has always been to encourage our citizens to buy local and keep holiday dollars flowing within our community. The sense of place that we have in the Lowcountry – all that makes this place unique – is largely thanks to our retail businesses. Local shops, both service-and product-based, are what build our culture. It’s the places where you can fix a shoe, find the perfect dress, buy a coffee or a new book, and connect with neighbors.
This grassroots movement of education and relationship building promotes the many economic and societal benefits of supporting local businesses. We work to showcase the great work our local businesses do for their community and we steer consumers to these businesses at the height of the holiday shopping season.
This year’s campaign had quite the reach and impact, thanks to our sponsors and supporters!
- The City of Charleston proclaimed Nov 15 – Dec 15 as Buy Local Month, joining with Lowcountry Local First in supporting and celebrating Charleston’s local-independent businesses and the impact they have on the City’s culture, economy and character.
- 5,000 “Pat Yourself on the Back” printed postcards were given to retail business members to reward their customers for choosing local.
- 150 neighborhood-based “Shop & Dine Local” printed posters were given to members to display in windows and storefronts.
- We displayed 30 “Shop & Dine Local” street light banners in Park Circle shopping district, and 20 street light banners mixed in the holiday decorations along King St.
– Based on available foot traffic survey data from the Charleston CVB, we can guesstimate that more than 180,000 pedestrians viewed the “Shop and Dine Local” street banners along King St between Nov 15 – Dec 15, between Spring and Broad Streets.
- 35+ local shopping markets were promoted and 65+ local businesses posted to the Buy Local Easy Buttons
- 3,100+ web views of the local business directory between Nov 15 – Dec 15
- 1,000+ web views of the Easy Buttons and Market Calendar web pages
- 1,000 Instagram posts and 100+ tweets have utilized the #BuyLocalChs tag
- Two Instagram takeovers by Charleston Shop Curator and Joel Sadler, showcasing top gift picks from local businesses. Plus, LLF took over the Yelp Charleston account for a day!
- We supported the M. Dumas & Sons Buy Local Holiday Crawl, encouraging shoppers to enjoy treats and discounts while shopping at 6 local businesses along middle King Street.
- 130+ individuals engaged with our free mobile app to find businesses, markets or events (including 50 new downloads)
- A mega toolkit was shared with supporters and members to make Buy Local promotion easy, including printables, social shareables, sidewalk chalk examples, and Small Business Saturday tools.
2017 Buy Local Month media mentions and advertising:
- 11 print and / or digital ads ran in Charleston Magazine (2), Charleston City Paper (4), Edible Charleston, Post and Courier (2), Moultrie News (4), Beau Magazine, West Of, Folly Current
– Estimated combined readership of more than 300,000 sets of eyes
- Digital promotion via 6 e-blasts to more than 5,200+ e-newsletter subscribers
- Social Media promotion (utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
– 11,700+ Facebook fans; 22,500+ Twitter followers; 16,400+ Instagram followers
- Press (11 Buy Local Month print and web media mentions)
– Broadcast media coverage: Bridge 105.5 interviews (2), Fox 24 News segment
We can’t thank these supportive business and organizations for making this work possible!
BUY LOCAL LEADERS:
BUY LOCAL CHAMPION:
BUY LOCAL GROUND-BREAKERS:
BUY LOCAL LOVERS: