Spotlight on the Glass Onion
POSTED APRIL 28, 2012 - 7:35AM
The Glass Onion
- What is your Local Plate Special? Whole Fried SC Quail with a choice of two seasonal sides for $13. This comes from Manchester Farms right outside of Columbia
- Give us a brief history of your restaurant. The Glass Onion opened 4 years ago with the goal of serving seasonal, local food in a casual, family-friendly environment. We source our ingredients from as close to home as we can get! And we are also proud to feature an all "green" wine list showcasing sustainable wines from small, locally owned distributors. Our beer list also focuses on smaller, craft breweries.
- Who are you local providers? Celeste Albers, Wes Melling (Kurios Farms), Keegan-Filion Farm, Manchester Farm, Coast Brewery; we buy most of our produce from Limehouse who sources locally and regionally! We buy most of our seafood from Lowcountry Shellfish and Local Seafood who source locally and regionally.
- Why have you decided to source local? We source local because we believe that local food tastes better! We also believe that this builds a strong community -- linking ourselves and our customers to the farmers and fishermen who actually make this possible!
- What is the greatest need in our area that would ease the process of sourcing local? We could use more local cheesemakers.
- What is the fan favorite local menu item? So many favorites it is hard to narrow down! But the quail is definitely a hit, especially every few months when we offer All You Can Eat Quail Night!