Eat Local Challenge Week #1: Featured Recipes
Apr 4, 2018
Prep time: 25 min; Cook time: 20-30 mins
• 1.5 lbs of ground beef from Sea Island Jerseys (or use ground turkey from FiliWest Farms)
• 4 slices of bacon, diced from Wishbone Heritage Farms
• 1 cup of breadcrumbs from Tiller Baking Co.
• 1 tablespoon of Berbere Ethiopian spice blend from the Charleston Spice Company
• Broth from Abundant Broth
1. Mix first four ingredients, form into balls (as big or small as you like), and chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
2. Brown meatballs in a medium size pan.
3. Once lovely looking on the outside, add a little broth to the pan and poach the meatballs until they are fully cooked.
4. At this point, you can enjoy them right away or wrap the up and freeze them for later.
Local Beverage Recipe: Super Summery Charleston Gin & Tonic
– Submitted by Amy Gangi, 2017 Growing New Farmers Program alum
• 1.5 oz. of Striped Pig gin, or more to taste
• 1 cup ice
• 1 oz. tonic water
• 1.5 oz. Cannonborough Honey Basil Soda
1. Pour ingredients over ice, stir, and serve with lime wedge.