Join the Team: Community Engagement Intern
May 11, 2021
Organization: Lowcountry Local First
Term: Part-time and flexible, Academic Credit Internship. Ideal term length May – August 2021.
Start Date: Flexible start in May 2021
About Us: Lowcountry Local First (LLF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds community support for local independent businesses and farmers by working with businesses, consumers and policymakers. From business services to hospitality to creative to farms, LLF has a membership base of more than 500 companies ranging from sole-proprietorships up to 250+ employees. Our three primary initiatives are Good Business, Good Farming, and Good Enterprises.
We’re looking for someone who’s smart, responsible, professional, fun, creative, and a self-starter that works well in a fast-paced environment to assist all staff in a variety of capacities from research to outreach to marketing.
● Outreach and tabling at farmer’s markets & community events
● Business Membership:
– Outreach / Relationship Management
– Communications with members
– Attend and assist with Local Socials
– Data collection and entry
● General event assistance
● Assist staff, specifically the Community Partnership Manager, with daily tasks
● Work on special projects, as needed, for Lowcountry Local First
Skills & Qualifications
● Interest in local economic development and alternative business models preferred; Interest in relationship-building
● Excellent interpersonal skills and proclivity to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Intern must be able to communicate effectively and professionally, and be comfortable reaching out via email, phone and in-person to represent Lowcountry Local First.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Self-motivated and self-regulated.
● Extreme attention for detail and organization.
● Strong computer skills required, including Microsoft Office. Microsoft Excel proficiency a bonus.
● Ability to appropriately and effectively represent the organization on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Schedule & Other
● Intern will report to the Community Partnership Manager
● Flexible part-time schedule of 10-15 hours per week / typically falling Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9am to 5pm, with occasional special events on weekday evenings and/or weekends.
● Internship will include attendance at monthly Local Socials on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 4 to 8 p.m
● Internship for school credit encouraged, but not required.
● This is an unpaid position.
● Must provide personal transportation
● Must provide own laptop/computer
● Gain valuable nonprofit experience with an organization that cultivates an economy anchored in local ownership, because local-independent businesses are the cornerstone of our culture, economy, and character.
● Work with a great team of professionals. Meet the LLF crew.
● Work in Local Works, a space described as an “open, beautiful, vibrant space designed to bring local entrepreneurs together,” by Charleston City Paper.
● Meet and interact with LLF industry professionals and Local Works coworkers.
● Internship will be located at the Lowcountry Local First office and Local Works coworking space at 1859 Summerville Ave., Charleston, SC 29405 on the Upper Peninsula.
● Email cover letter and resume to Steve Fletcher, Community Partnership Manager with “Community Engagement Intern – Your Name” in subject heading. Please send PDF files only (no Word docs, please). Feel free to share your LinkedIn, Twitter, blog, a video – whatever lets us know who you are and what you’re all about. No phone calls, please. // email@example.com
LLF is an equal opportunity provider and employer.