NOW HIRING: Membership Manager
Nov 11, 2019
Organization: Lowcountry Local First
Position: Membership Manager (Full-time)
Reports to: Director of Development
Salary Range: $40,000 to $45,000 based on experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Summary: Lowcountry Local First (LLF) is an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization made up of more than 400 local businesses representing diverse industries across the 8-county Lowcountry region. Please visit our online Local Business Directory. Our mission is to cultivate an economy anchored in local ownership, because local-independent businesses are the cornerstone of our culture, economy, and character. Our work is threefold: 1) educate the general public on why it’s important to choose local and influence them to do so; 2) work with our elected officials, decision-makers and opinion leaders to foster a better environment for creating and sustaining local businesses, and 3) deliver resources, programming, networking, mentorship and more to local businesses of all shapes and sizes.
The Membership Manager divides his/her time between stewardship of existing members, growing the membership, and planning member-focused events. Our ideal candidate is a dynamic community-builder committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; is energized by personal interactions; communicates effectively in a variety of forums with stakeholders in the business community; and embraces ownership and accountability of their work.
Additionally, our ideal candidate has strong staff and project management skills; has strong analytical skills as well as creative problem-solving abilities; is oriented by data and metrics; and is familiar with SalesForce or similar Customer Relations Management (CRM) software.
– Serve as a strategic leader, overseeing the implementation, evaluation, and refinement of efforts to recruit, support, and retain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community of local independent businesses
– Refine, implement, and evaluate strategies related to increasing the number of new members
– Refine, implement, and evaluate strategies to ensure high retention of current members
– Proactively engage current and potential members through a variety of means
– Systematically document member feedback
– Maintain meaningful menu and successful delivery of membership benefits
– Work with Dir. of Marketing and Communications to ensure membership collateral and other relevant materials remain effective and up to date
– Provide support for LLF’s robust calendar of activities
– Work with the Community Manager and Director of Development to create and pitch strategic membership + sponsorship proposals
– Manage the Mount Pleasant Town Proud program and utilize it to grow LLF membership base
– Act as primary contact for members and prospective members
– Oversee all aspects of database maintenance and record-keeping for members and prospective members
– Organize all monthly Local Socials – securing speakers and venues with consultation from Dir. of Marketing and Communications; gathering tabling materials, checking members in, preparing name tags etc.
– Work with the Director of Development to develop membership budget, as well as monitor and report on budget goals and progress
– Solicit feedback and provide ongoing stewardship of the membership experience
– Share community event tabling responsibilities with Communications Coordinator
– Deliver new/renewing member materials and expiration/renewal notice mailings
Skills & Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will possess the following traits:
– A track record of success in sales or membership positions
– Ability to communicate the value proposition of LLF
– Extremely organized and highly detail oriented
– Excellent listening and communication skills
– Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to represent Lowcountry Local First in a professional manner with diverse constituencies
– Event planning experience is a plus
– Thrives on networking and building relationships
– Ability to handle multiple projects and wear the many hats required of a small nonprofit staff
– Demonstrated strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office. CRM experience preferred
– Able to work some evenings and weekends
– 3 weeks of paid time off in year one, with increases based on tenure.
– 15 paid holidays, including Dec. 24th through Jan 1st, and your birthday.
– 3% company matching SIMPLE-IRA retirement fund (after three  months of employment).
– Generous cell phone and insurance stipends.
– Option to work remotely one day per week (after one year of employment).
– Parental leave up to  weeks (after one year of employment), including four  weeks paid leave.
– Annual stipend provided for professional development.
– Work with a great team of professionals. Meet the LLF crew.
– Work in Local Works, a space described an “open, beautiful, vibrant space designed to bring local entrepreneurs together,” by Charleston City Paper.
– Meet and interact with LLF member businesses (500+ local companies) and Local Works coworking community.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Please email cover letter and resume as a PDF file to Lauren Gellatly, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership Manager” in subject heading. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. Open until filled – please check LowcountryLocalFirst.org for current status of job posting.