October 2022 Advocacy Updates
Oct 5, 2022
Below are things you should know or take action on right now as a local-independent business owner or community leader:
– Feeling Boxed Out: A new report highlights the impacts that monopolistic “predatory buying” have on our communities. It opens our eyes to some of the tactics that have contributed to the supply chain woes facing many of our members: Boxed Out, by Institute for Local Self Reliance, Sept 2022
– Inaugural SBA Cyber Summit – Oct 26th: Register for free. “SBA Will Convene Experts from the Cybersecurity and Business Worlds to Share Best Practices and Practical Tools to Help Small Businesses.”
– Inflation Reduction Act and Small Business: “South Carolina is home to 445,804 small businesses, representing 99.4% of all businesses in the state, and the Inflation Reduction Act will help them save money. Commercial building owners can receive a tax credit up to $5 per square foot to support energy efficiency improvements that deliver lower utility bills. Other programs that will benefit small businesses include tax credits covering 30% of the costs of installing low-cost solar power and of purchasing clean trucks and vans for commercial fleets.” Read more from the fact sheet.
– Things we love: “Earth is now our only shareholder…” – Ownership of Patagonia, a Good Business Summit keynote alum, has been transferred to a trust created to protect the firm’s values, as well as a nonprofit organization to battle climate change. Read more from The Washington Post.
– Adopt a Polling Location: The Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration has launched a new program titled ‘Adopt a Polling Location’ and is inviting businesses and non-partisan organizations to ‘adopt’ a polling location by providing staff members to serve as poll workers on Election Day in November. You can earn money for a charity of your choice by choosing to donate the poll worker wages for your team. A win-win! Helping the community and democracy. Learn more here or email the Board of Elections at ZBurch@charlestoncounty.org.
– Member Resource – Commercial Space Advising: LLF harnesses the power of our membership to provide confidential, no-cost custom advising for issues related to a commercial space, including: finding space; design and build-out; regulatory process; and lease negotiation. Learn more here.
Questions? Input? Let us know.