Growing New Farmers Apprenticeship Program
The Growing New Farmers Apprenticeship Program is accepting applications on a rolling basis.
Lowcountry Local First’s Growing New Farmers Apprenticeship Program is an immersive apprenticeship experience in the production of specialty crops such as fruits, vegetables, or cut flowers. The Apprenticeship Program is a continuing education opportunity for graduates of the Growing New Farmers Program or another equivalent farm training program.
– Exhibits prior experience and desire for higher level experiential training
– Graduation from the Growing New Farmers Program, an equivalent farm training program, or farm work experience (4-6 months)
– A commitment of four months
– Availability of at least 15 hours per week
– Agreement to the terms of the apprenticeship, set forth by Mentor Farmer
– Participation in Goal Setting exercises and monitoring with Lowcountry Local First (LLF) staff and Mentor Farmer
– Completion of curriculum checklist, which includes a farm development project on behalf of mentor business
BENEFITS OF APPRENTICESHIP:
– Thoughtful matching with Lowcountry farm
– Goal setting and monitoring
– Toolkit for farm development projects including CSA management plans, enterprise budget worksheets, social media resources, and availability list/hot sheet templates
– 3 in-person check-ins with mentor and LLF staff to ensure experiential satisfaction and growth
– Access to Farm Business Advisory services following apprenticeship
– $150 for Growing New Farmers Program Alumni
– $350 for non-alumni
Full payment is due up-front.
Please forward any questions to Program Coordinator, Carrie Larson.
At this time, we have decided to postpone the start of the full 2019 Growing New Farmers Program, in order to take the necessary time to evaluate the program’s future and best chance at success. We will continue to provide our Good Farming initiative with a greater emphasis on educating consumers year-round and partnering with key organizations to provide valuable programming that will support the success of new and established farmers in our region. We will also offer an Apprenticeship opportunity for individuals who have completed the Growing New Farmers Program or similar farm experience or training in sustainable agriculture, along with a series of public workshops aimed at assisting new and established farmers in the region.
The Growing New Farmers Program is made possible by many community partners and donors, including:
Charleston County Economic Development, SCDA Specialty Crop Grant Block, The Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation, Pathfinder Foundation, Charleston Soil and Water Conservation, and US Small Business Association.
Lowcountry Local First is an equal opportunity provider and employer.