Community Engagement Intern - Fall 2018
Jul 10, 2018
Term: Part-time and flexible, Academic Credit Internship opportunity. Ideal term length of 4 months.
Start Date: Flexible start date of August 20, 2018
About Us: Lowcountry Local First (LLF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds community support for local independent businesses and farmers by working with businesses, consumers and policymakers. From business services to hospitality to creative to farms, LLF has a membership base of more than 500 companies ranging from sole-proprietorships up to 250+ employees. Our two primary initiatives are Good Business and Good Farming.
We’re looking for someone who’s smart, responsible, professional, fun, creative, and a self-starter that works well in a fast-paced environment to assist all staff in a variety of capacities from research to outreach to marketing.
- Localist Membership program
– Outreach work, such as occasional tabling at farmers’ markets & community events
- Business and Localist Membership
– Outreach and relationship management
– Communications with members
– Attend and assist with member mixers
– Data collection and entry
- Local Works (co-working space) Operations:
– Create Local Works member blog highlights
– Update member board regularly
– Office organizational tasks
- General event assistance
- Assist the Community Manager and Engagement Coordinator with daily tasks and special projects as needed
Skills & Qualifications
- Interest in local economic development and alternative business models preferred; Interest in relationship-building
- Excellent inter-personal skills and an energy that attracts others. Intern must be able to communicate effectively and professionally, and be comfortable reaching out via email, phone and in-person to represent Lowcountry Local First.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-regulated.
- Extreme attention for detail and organization.
- Strong computer skills required, including Microsoft Office. Student must be proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to appropriately and effectively represent the organization on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Schedule & Other
- Intern will report to the Engagement Coordinator and Community Manager
- Flexible part-time schedule of 10-20 hours / typically falling Monday through Friday, between 9am to 5pm, with occasional special events on weekday evenings and/or weekends.
- Internship will include attendance at member mixers on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 4 to 8 p.m
- Internship for school credit encouraged, but not required.
- This is an unpaid position.
- Must provide personal transportation
- Must provide own laptop/computer
- Gain valuable nonprofit experience with an organization that cultivates an economy anchored in local ownership, because local-independent businesses are the cornerstone of our culture, economy, and character.
- Work with a great team of professionals. Meet the LLF crew.
- Work in Local Works, a space described an “open, beautiful, vibrant space designed to bring local entrepreneurs together,” by Charleston City Paper.
- Meet and interact with LLF members and Local Works coworkers.
- Internship will be located at the Lowcountry Local First office and Local Works coworking space at 1630-2 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29405 on the Upper Peninsula.
- Email cover letter and resume to Larry Downey, Engagement Coordinator with “Community Engagement Intern – Your Name” in subject heading. Please send PDF files only (no Word docs, please). Feel free to share your LinkedIn, Twitter, blog, a video – whatever lets us know who you are and what you’re all about. No phone calls, please.
LLF is an equal opportunity provider and employer.