Eat Local this Holiday Season
Nov 27, 2019
When considering where to source your holiday meal ingredients, choose to spread some local holiday love by purchasing your protein, produce, and dairy from a nearby farmer or purveyor.
The holidays are the best time of the year to show your support to the farmers and growers who keep us well fed and allow us to taste the flavor of the Lowcountry all year long. Here are some ideas and resources to get you started!
If you already know what you’re looking for, start by checking out our Farm Fresh Food Guide (FFFG). This guide provides an easy way to view local providers through an interactive map. Click the points directly on the map or use the side menu to sort and scroll through your options.
Looking specifically for protein?
- Seafood: Abundant seafood sells freshly caught seafood
- Hunting & Processing: Cordray’s Farm sells raw and processed meat direct from their farm and is available if you need animal processing services after a hunt.
- Poultry: Fili-West Farms specializes in all things chicken and turkey.
- Pasture-Raised: Keegan Filion cares deeply about the animals they raise and the product they provide. Plus they offer home delivery!
- Pork, Eggs, Beef, and More: Wishbone Heritage Farms offers an easy online ordering process for their products
- Dairy: Sea Island Jerseys provides raw cow’s milk and beef products, Lowcountry Creamery sells various milk products including yogurt and creme fraiche and Burden Creek Dairy specializes in all things goat milk
In need of some vegetables for your holiday dinner?
- Stono Market: sells organic produce direct from the Ambrose Family Farm
- Vertical Roots: sells their fresh indoor-grown greens at local Harris Teeters, Publix, and Whole Foods
- You can also find Spade and Clover Gardens, Fire Ant Farms, Kindlewood Farms, Joseph Fields Farm, Lowland Farms and others on the FFFG selling their delicious veggies at farmers’ markets near you
Farmers’ markets that run through the Winter season
Mobile Farmers’ Markets
Throughout the holiday season, we hope you seize the opportunity to fill your table with delicious local meals surrounded by the people you love most. And when it comes time for holiday shopping, make sure to check out BuyLocalMonth.com for an easy guide to local gifting. This holiday season, choose to love the place you choose to live.