Lettuce Challenge You
Mar 24, 2016
LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!
The Eat Local Challenge officially kicks off on Friday, April 1st, and that means it is time for you to begin shifting at least $10 of your weekly food budget towards our local food system. We look forward to hearing all about your journey to local eating – so please share your stories and photos by tagging Lowcountry Local First in your social media posts and utilizing the #eatlocalchs tag.
Eating local is for everyone, and the ways you can shift towards eating local are endless! Don’t forget to download our new, free mobile app and register for the challenge. Help us make the ‘Total Shift’ number you see within the app as large as possible! Join the Eat Local Challenge Facebook Group to learn from one another and share tips / recipes you find helpful.
Click to download the free mobile app:
Here are some different ways to start the shift and begin eating local:
- Shift at least $10 of your weekly grocery budget to local food. Ask for local products at your grocery store.
- Shop one of the many farmers markets in our area and chat with a farmer about what is in season. The Charleston Farmers Market opens next Saturday, April 9. Be sure to find our tent and enjoy free tastings from local chefs using local produce!
- Eat seasonally using our Ripe Chart, showing what’s fresh and in season in the Lowcountry throughout April.
- Sign up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture share). This could satisfy your entire weekly $10 shift!
- Try one new veggie or fruit each week.
- Ask your server what’s local on the menu when dining out.
- Visit one of our many Eat Local Challenge Food & Beverage Supporters! Many are offering specials and discounts to those taking the challenge.
- Grow your own food in your yard or a community garden.
- Preserve fruits or veggies (jar, freeze or dry) to enjoy later.
- Follow our Eat Local Challenge bloggers to see how they are taking the Challenge.
- Win one of our weekly prizes by participating in the #HowIEatLocal Instagram contest.
- Attend an Eat Local Month event.
Thanks to netGalaxy Studios for their help in making this app come to life!